So it got to Tuesday, the BIG day for my very first order (so to speak) fro my Mother-In-Law's birthday. As I said in my previous post, I was baking 12 Flake Bake and 12 Oreo cupcakes. I started early enough so that at least if anything went wrong I would have enough time to start again, so I started at about 2.30pm! Surprisingly everything was going smoothly, both sets of cakes had risen perfectly and so I was just waiting for them to cool enough so I could do the icing.
I had made this icing a few times so thought there couldn't be too much that could go wrong. Well....from the offset it wasn't particularly going to plan. I had slightly over-whipped the cream so it was a bit more of a lumpier consistency. I managed to ice a couple of the cupcakes with it, but the piping bag was becoming really wet and slippery where it was seeping through. Then there was a lot of air bubbles which meant I couldn't pipe it consistently onto the cupcake. It ended up being a disaster!!
Thankfully I had bought just enough ingredients to completely start again. NO over-whipping this time!!
It had got to 6.30pm and after a kitchen filled with plumes of icing powder and spatters of icing everywhere I finally managed to ice all of the cupcakes and safely get them into their boxes.