Eventually I got to piping it onto the cupcakes. Getting to grips with the piping bag was a feat within itself! I have a couple of pictures of my best attempts. (You can see in the chocolate icing a few lumps of butter!)
The actual flavour of the cake and icing was really nice. Cake was moist and flavoursome.
My next attempt was my own combination of flavours. I am obsessed with chocolate lime sweets, so decided to make a chocolate sponge with lime buttercream icing. I used a chocolate cupcake recipe from my Primrose Bakery book and then adapted a lemon buttercream icing to a lime version. This time turned out a lot better. Only downfall was my cakes sunk in the middle slightly, so may have to adjust my timings slightly next time. Piping the buttercream was a lot easier too. I added three tablespoons of lime juice and then some green colouring just to give it a more lime "feel" even though they look yellow in the pictures!
When I next ice some cupcakes I'm not going to ice them as flat, I always think they look a bit better with a bit of height!
People's verdicts were very positive, everyone said that the lime icing wasn't too overpowering which I was a tad worried about.
Will hopefully have another week of happy baking!